Today’s comic by Mark Fiore is Trust meditation for Democrats:
• What’s coming up on Sunday Kos …
- Republicans don’t want you to know the real truth about food stamps, by Laura Clawson
- Mueller understands that the obstruction itself is the collusion, by Frank Vyan Walton
- Republicans know they can always depend on Democrats to cave, by Egberto Willies
- The Republican assault on knowledge has a new possible target: The Census, by David Jarman
- The rainbow flag proudly flies over Puerto Ricans, by Denise Oliver Velez
- Documentary offers teen-level views on race issues in schools, by Sher Watts Spooner
- Just where are refugees supposed to go, by Mark E Anwww.sltrib.com/...dersen
- Trump official all but admits immigration 'deal' is a trap. Senate Democrats are right to reject it, by Ian Reifowitz
• Pew poll shows huge gap between Democrats and Republicans on climate change as priority:
The shares of Democrats saying that dealing with global climate change and protecting the environment have increased substantially in recent years. By contrast, attitudes among Republicans have largely held steady.
Today, 68% of Democrats and Democratic leaners say addressing climate change should be a top priority for Trump and Congress. Only 18% of Republicans and Republican leaners say it is a top priority, while 30% say it should be an “important but lower priority.”
Nearly half of Republicans (48%) say dealing with climate change either is “not too important” or “should not be done” – by comparison, no more than three-in-ten in either party rate any of the other 18 issues as not too important or say they should not be done.
More than twice as many Democrats (81%) than Republicans (37%) say protecting the environment should be a top priority for the president and Congress.
• Activist and scholar Angela Davis is 74 today.
• appears about to be erased:Utah’s “porn czar” office
The House voted unanimously Thursday to pass HB50, which formally removes from state code the “obscenity and pornography complaints ombudsman.” The measure now goes to the Senate.
The Legislature created the position in 2000, saying it would provide resources for residents to curb pornography in their neighborhoods and online. Attorney Paula Houston was hired and given a budget of $150,000 a year, and became the nation’s first and only “porn czar” in 2001.
A Washington Post story told how Houston was called on by residents to “persuade supermarkets to display racy magazines at adult-eye level, intercept a Victoria’s Secret catalog from a family’s mailbox, remove R-rated videos from public libraries, forbid the display of unclothed mannequins at department stores and outlaw strip clubs.”
• Colonel Sanders is a woman—Reba McEntire
• 250 organizations call on FEMA to address needs of disaster-struck families:
More than 250 national, state, and local organizations called on FEMA to implement proven disaster-recovery housing solutions like the Disaster Housing Assistance Program (DHAP) for families with the lowest incomes. They note that the need for DHAP is underscored by FEMA’s recent decision to abruptly end its Transitional Shelter Assistance (TSA) for displaced Puerto Rican families in Connecticut.
In a recent letter to FEMA Administrator Brock Long, the Disaster Housing Recovery Coalition (DHRC) – comprised of more than 250 organizations led by the National Low Income Housing Coalition (NLIHC) – called on FEMA to address the longer term needs of low income people displaced by the recent hurricanes and wildfires. Despite a clear need and ample evidence of DHAP’s effectiveness after previous disasters, FEMA has so far chosen not to enter into an agreement with the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to stand up the program. DHAP provides temporary rental assistance and wrap-around case management to low income families in need. The program helps the lowest income families find permanent housing solutions, secure employment, and connect to public benefits as they rebuild their lives.
On showKagro in the Morningtoday’s : Wow! What a day! Trump toddles off to Davos & leaves us to learn, seven months after the fact, that he tried to fire Mueller. Dutch intelligence service says it literally saw Cozy Bear hack the State Dept. & the DNC. No collusion! You're the puppet!